What is the antonym of “childlike”?
The antonyms of childlike are mature and sophisticated. The antonyms mature and sophisticated convey a more grown-up and refined demeanor, while childlike implies innocence, playfulness, and simplicity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Fully developed in body or mind; having reached a state of full growth or development.
She was a mature woman who had seen and experienced a lot in her life.
Having a refined knowledge of the world, culture, and art; showing worldly wisdom and experience.
The sophisticated gentleman knew how to appreciate fine wine and art.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Mature describes someone who has reached a state of full growth or development, both physically and mentally.
- 2Sophisticated describes someone who has a refined knowledge of the world, culture, and art, and shows worldly wisdom and experience.
- 3Childlike describes someone who is innocent, playful, and simple, like a child.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use mature and sophisticated to describe people who have grown up and become more refined.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding of different personalities and behaviors.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create complex characters and interesting plotlines.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Mature describes someone who has reached full growth and development, sophisticated describes someone with refined knowledge and experience, while childlike implies innocence, playfulness, and simplicity. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich storytelling by creating complex characters and interesting plotlines.