What is the antonym of “civilizedness”?
The antonyms of civilizedness are barbarism and rudeness. The antonyms barbarism and rudeness convey a lack of refinement, culture, or manners. It implies a state of being uncivilized or uneducated.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A state of being uncivilized or primitive; lacking refinement or culture.
The tribe's barbarism was evident in their lack of technology and modern amenities.
Lack of politeness or good manners; impolite or discourteous behavior.
His rudeness towards the waiter was unacceptable and showed a lack of respect.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Barbarism refers to a lack of refinement or culture, while rudeness refers to a lack of politeness or good manners.
- 2Barbarism is a more extreme term that describes a state of being uncivilized or primitive, while rudeness can be a milder term that describes impolite or discourteous behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Cultural Studies: Use these antonyms to discuss the differences between cultures and societies.
- 2Etiquette Training: Incorporate these antonyms in lessons to teach good manners and polite behavior.
- 3Social Commentary: Utilize these antonyms in writing or speeches to comment on societal norms and values.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Barbarism conveys a lack of refinement or culture, while rudeness denotes a lack of politeness or good manners. Use these words in cultural studies, etiquette training, and social commentary to discuss differences between cultures, teach good manners, and comment on societal norms and values.