What is the antonym of “cloudless”?
The antonyms of cloudless are cloudy, overcast, and gloomy. These words describe the opposite of a clear, sunny day. They convey a sense of darkness, heaviness, and lack of brightness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Covered with clouds; lacking sunshine or brightness.
It's cloudy today, so we might not be able to go to the beach.
Completely covered with clouds; lacking any visible sky.
The sky was overcast and gray, making it hard to see anything in the distance.
Dark, dim, and depressing; lacking cheerfulness or hope.
The weather was gloomy and damp, matching his mood after hearing the bad news.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cloudy refers to a sky covered with clouds, but it can still be bright and sunny.
- 2Overcast describes a sky that is completely covered with clouds, leaving no visible sky.
- 3Gloomy conveys a sense of darkness and depression, often used to describe weather or moods.
Good things to know
- 1Weather Forecasting: Use these antonyms to describe different types of weather conditions.
- 2Describing Moods: Incorporate these antonyms to describe different emotional states.
- 3Setting the Scene: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions of settings and environments.