What is the antonym of “committed”?
The antonym of committed is uncommitted, disloyal, and unfaithful. The antonyms uncommitted, disloyal, and unfaithful convey a lack of dedication, loyalty, or faithfulness. It implies a lack of commitment to a person, cause, or belief.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not pledged or bound to a particular cause, person, or course of action.
He was uncommitted to any political party and preferred to vote for the candidate with the best policies.
Failing to show loyalty or allegiance to a person, group, or cause.
He was accused of being disloyal to his team for leaking confidential information to their opponents.
Not adhering to promises, vows, or obligations; breaking trust or confidence.
She found out that her husband was unfaithful when she saw him with another woman at a restaurant.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Uncommitted describes a lack of commitment or dedication to a particular cause, person, or course of action.
- 2Disloyal describes a lack of loyalty or allegiance to a person, group, or cause.
- 3Unfaithful describes a breach of trust or confidence by not adhering to promises, vows, or obligations.
Good things to know
- 1Relationships: Use disloyal and unfaithful to describe someone who breaks trust in a relationship.
- 2Workplace: Use uncommitted to describe someone who lacks dedication to their job or company.
- 3Politics: Use uncommitted to describe someone who is not affiliated with any political party or ideology.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Uncommitted describes a lack of commitment, disloyal denotes a lack of loyalty, and unfaithful refers to a breach of trust. Use these words to describe relationships, workplace behavior, and political affiliations.