The Opposite(Antonym) of “compassion”
The antonyms of compassion are cruelty and indifference. The antonyms cruelty and indifference convey a lack of empathy or concern for others. They imply a disregard for the feelings, needs, or suffering of others.
Definitions and Examples of cruelty, indifference
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Behavior that causes pain, suffering, or harm to others, often with pleasure or satisfaction.
The cruelty of the dictator towards his people was well-known.
Lack of interest, concern, or sympathy for others; apathy.
His indifference to the plight of the homeless was disheartening.
Key Differences: cruelty vs indifference
- 1Cruelty is an active behavior that causes harm or suffering to others, often with pleasure or satisfaction.
- 2Indifference is a passive attitude of not caring or showing concern for others.
Effective Usage of cruelty, indifference
- 1Express Empathy: Use compassion to show understanding and concern for others.
- 2Oppose Injustice: Use cruelty to condemn harmful or abusive behavior towards others.
- 3Encourage Engagement: Use indifference to motivate others to care and take action towards important issues.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Cruelty is an active behavior that causes harm or suffering to others, while indifference is a passive attitude of not caring or showing concern for others. Use compassion to express empathy, cruelty to oppose injustice, and indifference to encourage engagement towards important issues.