What is the antonym of “contented”?
The antonyms of contented are discontented, unsatisfied, and unhappy. These words describe a lack of satisfaction or happiness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not satisfied or pleased with one's situation or circumstances.
She was discontented with her job and wanted to find something more fulfilling.
Not feeling fulfilled or gratified; lacking satisfaction.
Despite his success, he felt unsatisfied and wanted more out of life.
Feeling sad, displeased, or discontented.
She was unhappy with the way things were going in her personal life.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Discontented implies a general lack of satisfaction or pleasure with one's situation or circumstances.
- 2Unsatisfied suggests a specific area where one is not feeling fulfilled or gratified.
- 3Unhappy conveys a negative emotional state characterized by sadness, displeasure, or discontent.
Good things to know
- 1Express Dissatisfaction: Use discontented, unsatisfied, and unhappy to express dissatisfaction with a situation or circumstance.
- 2Discuss Needs: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to discuss unmet needs or desires.
- 3Improve Relationships: Utilize these words to understand and empathize with others' feelings and perspectives.
The antonyms of contented convey a lack of satisfaction or happiness. Discontented implies a general lack of satisfaction, unsatisfied suggests a specific area of unfulfillment, and unhappy conveys a negative emotional state. Use these words to express dissatisfaction, discuss needs, and improve relationships.