What is the antonym of “contract”?
The antonyms of contract are expansion, enlargement, and growth. The antonyms expansion, enlargement, and growth convey a sense of increase, expansion, or extension. They are opposite in meaning to the word contract, which means to reduce in size, extent, or quantity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of increasing in size, volume, quantity, or scope.
The company's expansion plans include opening new branches in several countries.
The act of making something larger or more extensive.
The architect proposed an enlargement of the living room by knocking down a wall.
The process of increasing in size, number, or amount; development.
The city has experienced rapid growth in population over the past decade.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Expansion refers to an increase in size, volume, quantity, or scope.
- 2Enlargement refers to making something larger or more extensive.
- 3Growth refers to the process of increasing in size, number, or amount.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use expansion to describe business growth and development.
- 2Architecture: Use enlargement to describe changes made to a building or structure to make it larger.
- 3Economics: Use growth to describe the increase in the size or value of an economy or industry.
The antonyms of contract are expansion, enlargement, and growth. These words convey a sense of increase, expansion, or extension. Use them in different contexts such as business, architecture, and economics to describe growth, development, and increase in size or value.