What is the antonym of “countrify”?
The antonyms of countrify are urbanize and metropolitanize. The antonyms urbanize and metropolitanize refer to the process of making something more urban or city-like.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make an area more urban in character, typically by building more housing and infrastructure.
The government's plan to urbanize the rural areas has been met with mixed reactions from the locals.
To make a place more metropolitan in character, typically by developing its cultural and economic aspects.
The city council's efforts to metropolitanize the downtown area have attracted more tourists and investors.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Urbanize refers to the process of making an area more urban in character by building more housing and infrastructure.
- 2Metropolitanize refers to the process of making a place more metropolitan in character by developing its cultural and economic aspects.
Good things to know
- 1Urban Planning: Use urbanize and metropolitanize to describe the process of developing cities and towns.
- 2Real Estate: Incorporate these antonyms in property descriptions to highlight the differences between rural and urban areas.
- 3Travel Writing: Utilize these antonyms in travel writing to describe the differences between rural and urban destinations.