What is the antonym of “debate”?
The antonyms of debate are agreement and consensus. The antonyms agreement and consensus convey a sense of harmony, accord, and mutual understanding. They imply that people have come to a shared decision or opinion without any disagreement or conflict.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A state of harmony, accord, or mutual understanding between two or more parties.
After much discussion, the two sides finally reached an agreement on the terms of the contract.
A general agreement or opinion among a group of people.
There was a consensus among the members of the committee that the proposal should be rejected.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Agreement refers to a specific understanding or decision reached between two or more parties.
- 2Consensus refers to a general agreement or opinion among a group of people.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use agreement to describe a mutually acceptable outcome in negotiations.
- 2Decision-making: Use consensus to describe a general agreement or opinion among a group of people.
- 3Conflict resolution: Use agreement and consensus to describe a peaceful resolution of conflicts.