What is the antonym of “deficient”?
The antonym of deficient is sufficient, adequate, and abundant. The antonyms sufficient, adequate, and abundant convey a positive or satisfactory state of having enough or more than enough of something.
See all the antonyms of “deficient”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Being enough or adequate; meeting the needs or requirements.
He had sufficient funds to buy the car he wanted.
Being enough in quantity, quality, or degree; satisfactory.
The hotel provided adequate facilities for the conference.
Being plentiful or ample; more than enough.
The garden was filled with abundant flowers and trees.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sufficient means having just enough to meet the needs or requirements.
- 2Adequate means being enough in quantity, quality, or degree.
- 3Abundant means having more than enough or being plentiful.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the quantity or quality of something.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to expand your vocabulary.
- 3Express Gratitude: Use sufficient, adequate, and abundant to express appreciation for what you have.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Sufficient means having just enough, adequate means being enough, and abundant means having more than enough. Use these words to enhance writing, improve vocabulary, and express gratitude for what you have.