What is the antonym of “defied”?
The antonyms of defied are submit, obey, and yield. These words convey the opposite meaning of defied, which is to resist or refuse to obey someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To yield or surrender to the authority, control, or power of another person or entity.
He had to submit his resignation letter after being caught embezzling funds.
To comply with or follow the orders, rules, or instructions given by someone in authority.
The soldiers were trained to obey their commanding officer without question.
To give way or surrender to someone or something more powerful or persuasive.
The driver had to yield to the ambulance that was rushing to the hospital.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Submit implies a voluntary act of surrendering to someone or something more powerful or authoritative.
- 2Obey suggests a sense of duty or obligation to follow the orders or rules given by someone in authority.
- 3Yield conveys a willingness to give way or surrender to someone or something more powerful or persuasive.
Good things to know
- 1Instructive Writing: Use these antonyms to explain the difference between resistance and compliance.
- 2Debate and Discussion: Incorporate these antonyms to express opposing viewpoints and perspectives.
- 3Conflict Resolution: Utilize these antonyms to find common ground and resolve disputes peacefully.
The antonyms of defied are submit, obey, and yield. Use these words to explain the difference between resistance and compliance, express opposing viewpoints and perspectives, and resolve conflicts peacefully.