What is the antonym of “depreciating”?
The antonyms of depreciating are complimentary, appreciative, and praising. These antonyms convey a positive or approving attitude towards something or someone. They imply admiration, respect, or gratitude.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Expressing praise, admiration, or approval.
The chef received complimentary reviews for his delicious and innovative dishes.
Feeling or showing gratitude, recognition, or enjoyment of something.
The audience was appreciative of the musician's talent and gave him a standing ovation.
Expressing approval, admiration, or respect for someone or something.
The teacher gave praising feedback to her students for their hard work and dedication.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Complimentary implies expressing admiration or approval, while appreciative implies feeling gratitude or enjoyment.
- 2Appreciative is a relational antonym that describes a positive attitude towards something or someone, while praising is a gradable antonym that describes an expression of approval or admiration.
- 3Praising is a more specific term that implies showing respect or admiration for someone or something, while complimentary is a broader term that can also include expressions of politeness or flattery.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use these antonyms to express appreciation, admiration, or respect in social situations.
- 2Professional Settings: Incorporate these antonyms in emails, reports, or presentations to convey a positive attitude towards colleagues, clients, or projects.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives or descriptions to create vivid and engaging characters, scenes, or settings.