What is the antonym of “desilverizing”?
The antonyms of desilverizing are silvering and gilding. These words describe the process of adding a layer of silver or gold to an object for decorative or functional purposes.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The process of coating a surface with a layer of silver.
The antique mirror had lost its shine, so we decided to give it a new look by silvering it.
The process of covering a surface with a thin layer of gold.
The picture frame looked plain, so we decided to add some elegance to it by gilding the edges.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Silvering involves adding a layer of silver to a surface, while gilding involves adding a layer of gold.
- 2Silvering is often used to restore the shine of old objects, while gilding is used to add a touch of luxury and elegance to decorative items.
Good things to know
- 1Art and Design: Use silvering and gilding to add value and beauty to art pieces and decorative items.
- 2Restoration: Use silvering to restore the shine of old objects made of silver.
- 3Crafts: Use gilding to add a touch of luxury to handmade crafts such as picture frames, jewelry boxes, and ornaments.