What is the antonym of “desperate”?
The antonym of desperate is hopeful, optimistic, and calm. The antonyms hopeful, optimistic, and calm convey a positive or peaceful emotional state. It implies a sense of confidence, tranquility, or expectation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Feeling or inspiring optimism about a future event or situation.
Despite the setbacks, she remained hopeful that things would get better soon.
Having a positive outlook on life or a particular situation.
He was optimistic about his chances of getting the job and felt confident in his abilities.
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
She took a deep breath and tried to remain calm despite the chaos around her.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hopeful conveys a sense of expectation or anticipation for a positive outcome.
- 2Optimistic denotes a general positive outlook on life or a particular situation.
- 3Calm refers to a state of tranquility or peace, without strong emotions such as nervousness or anger.
Good things to know
- 1Express Confidence: Use hopeful, optimistic, and calm to convey a sense of confidence and positivity.
- 2Reduce Anxiety: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create well-rounded characters and engaging stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Hopeful conveys expectation, optimistic denotes positivity, and calm refers to tranquility. Use these words to express confidence, reduce anxiety, and enrich writing by creating well-rounded characters and engaging stories.