What is the antonym of “deteriorate”?
The antonym of deteriorate are improve, enhance, and develop. The antonyms improve, enhance, and develop convey a positive or better state. It implies a growth, progress, or advancement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something better or more satisfactory.
She took extra classes to improve her grades.
To improve the quality, value, or attractiveness of something.
The new paint job enhanced the beauty of the old house.
To grow or progress in a positive way; to advance or expand.
The company plans to develop new products to meet the changing market demands.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Improve is a general term that describes making something better or more satisfactory.
- 2Enhance is a more specific term that describes improving the quality, value, or attractiveness of something.
- 3Develop is a relational term that describes growing or progressing in a positive way, advancing, or expanding.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use improve, enhance, and develop to describe positive changes in research papers and essays.
- 2Job Interviews: Incorporate antonyms in interviews to demonstrate your ability to contribute positively to the company.
- 3Personal Development: Utilize these antonyms in goal-setting to track progress and growth.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Improve conveys general betterment, enhance denotes improving the quality, value, or attractiveness, and develop refers to growing or progressing in a positive way. Use these words in academic writing, job interviews, and personal development to describe positive changes, demonstrate your ability to contribute positively, and track progress and growth.