What is the antonym of “diminished”?
The antonym of diminished is increased, augmented, and enhanced. The antonyms increased, augmented, and enhanced convey a positive or improved state. It implies a growth, expansion, or improvement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Becoming greater in size, amount, or degree.
The company's profits have increased by 20% this year.
Being added to or made greater in amount or number.
The team's performance was augmented by the new member's skills.
Improved or increased in quality, value, or attractiveness.
The hotel's facilities were enhanced with the addition of a spa and fitness center.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Increased is a general term that describes a growth in size, amount, or degree.
- 2Augmented is a more specific term that describes an addition or increase in number or amount.
- 3Enhanced is a term that describes an improvement in quality, value, or attractiveness.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use increased to describe growth in sales, profits, or market share.
- 2Technology: Use augmented to describe the addition of features or capabilities to a product or service.
- 3Design: Use enhanced to describe improvements in the appearance, functionality, or usability of a product or service.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Increased conveys general growth, augmented denotes an addition or increase in number or amount, and enhanced refers to an improvement in quality, value, or attractiveness. Use these words in different contexts such as business, technology, and design to describe growth, addition, or improvement.