What is the antonym of “disgraceful”?
The antonym of disgraceful are honorable, respectable, and commendable. The antonyms honorable, respectable, and commendable convey a positive or praiseworthy quality. It implies a sense of dignity, respect, or admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Deserving of respect and admiration; having a sense of moral integrity and uprightness.
The soldier was awarded a medal for his honorable service to the country.
Worthy of esteem or regard; having a good reputation or social standing.
She comes from a respectable family with a long history of community service.
Deserving of praise or approval; worthy of recommendation or recognition.
His efforts to raise funds for charity were commendable and greatly appreciated.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Honorable is a term that describes a person or action that is deserving of respect and admiration due to their moral integrity and uprightness.
- 2Respectable is a term that describes a person or action that is worthy of esteem or regard due to their good reputation or social standing.
- 3Commendable is a term that describes a person or action that is deserving of praise or approval due to their worthy actions or accomplishments.
Good things to know
- 1Express Gratitude: Use honorable, respectable, and commendable to express appreciation and gratitude.
- 2Show Respect: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to show respect and admiration.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create a positive tone and convey a sense of dignity and respect.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Honorable conveys moral integrity and uprightness, respectable denotes good reputation and social standing, and commendable refers to worthy actions or accomplishments. Use these words to express gratitude, show respect in conversations, and enrich writing by creating a positive tone and conveying a sense of dignity and respect.