What is the antonym of “dysfunctional”?
The antonym of dysfunctional is functional, operating, and working. The antonyms functional, operating, and working convey a positive or efficient state. It implies that something is working as intended, without any issues or problems.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Working or operating in the way that it should; performing its intended purpose.
The new software update made the system more functional and user-friendly.
Functioning or working correctly; in operation.
The machine was operating smoothly and efficiently, without any glitches.
Functioning properly; in good working order.
The car's engine was working perfectly after the mechanic fixed it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Functional implies that something is working as intended, without any issues or problems.
- 2Operating suggests that something is currently in use or functioning correctly.
- 3Working means that something is in good working order and functioning properly.
Good things to know
- 1Technical Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the functionality of machines, software, and other technical systems.
- 2Business Communication: Incorporate these antonyms to describe the efficiency of business processes and operations.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Utilize these antonyms to describe the state of household appliances, vehicles, and other everyday items.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Functional implies that something is working as intended, operating suggests that something is currently in use or functioning correctly, and working means that something is in good working order and functioning properly. Use these words in technical writing, business communication, and everyday conversation to describe the functionality and efficiency of various systems and processes.