What is the antonym of “elementary”?
The antonyms of elementary are advanced, complex, and complicated. These antonyms describe things that are more difficult, intricate, or sophisticated than something that is elementary.
See all the antonyms of “elementary”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
At a higher level of progress or development; more complex or sophisticated.
The course is designed for advanced learners who already have a good understanding of the subject.
Consisting of interconnected or interwoven parts; difficult to understand or analyze.
The problem was too complex for me to solve on my own, so I had to ask for help.
Consisting of many interconnected parts or elements; difficult to understand or deal with.
The instructions were so complicated that I had to read them several times before I could figure out what to do.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Advanced refers to something that is more developed or sophisticated than something that is elementary.
- 2Complex describes something that has many interconnected parts or is difficult to understand or analyze.
- 3Complicated describes something that is difficult to understand or deal with because it has many interconnected parts or elements.
Good things to know
- 1Education: Use these antonyms to describe different levels of difficulty in academic subjects.
- 2Technology: Use these antonyms to describe different levels of complexity in software, hardware, or systems.
- 3Business: Use these antonyms to describe different levels of sophistication in products, services, or strategies.
The antonyms of elementary are advanced, complex, and complicated. Use these words to describe different levels of difficulty, complexity, or sophistication in education, technology, business, or other contexts.