What is the antonym of “euphony”?
The antonyms of euphony are cacophony, discord, and dissonance. These words describe sounds that are unpleasant to the ear, often characterized by harshness, jarring tones, or lack of harmony.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A harsh, discordant mixture of sounds.
The construction site was filled with the cacophony of jackhammers, drills, and heavy machinery.
Lack of agreement or harmony between people or things.
The discord between the two political parties made it difficult to pass any legislation.
Lack of harmony or agreement between musical notes.
The composer intentionally used dissonance in his piece to create a sense of tension and unease.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cacophony refers to a harsh, jarring mixture of sounds.
- 2Discord describes a lack of agreement or harmony between people or things.
- 3Dissonance specifically refers to a lack of harmony between musical notes.
Good things to know
- 1Music: Use dissonance to describe a lack of harmony in music.
- 2Literature: Incorporate cacophony and discord in descriptions of unpleasant sounds or tense situations.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use these antonyms to describe unpleasant sounds or situations in daily life.
The antonyms of euphony describe unpleasant sounds or lack of harmony. Cacophony refers to harsh sounds, discord describes a lack of agreement, and dissonance specifically refers to a lack of harmony in music. These words can be used in music, literature, and everyday conversation to describe unpleasant sounds or situations.