What is the antonym of “expressive”?
The antonyms of expressive are inexpressive, unemotional, and unrevealing. These words describe a lack of emotion or the inability to convey feelings effectively.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing any emotion or feeling; having a blank or neutral expression.
Despite winning the lottery, he remained inexpressive and didn't show any excitement.
Not easily affected by emotions; lacking emotional depth or intensity.
She was unemotional when she heard the news of her grandfather's death.
Not giving away any information or clues; not disclosing anything.
The suspect's face was unrevealing during the interrogation, making it hard for the detective to read his thoughts.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inexpressive describes a lack of facial expressions or body language that conveys emotions.
- 2Unemotional describes a lack of emotional depth or intensity.
- 3Unrevealing describes a lack of information or clues that can be used to understand someone's thoughts or feelings.
Good things to know
- 1Describing People: Use these antonyms to describe people who have difficulty expressing their emotions.
- 2Artistic Expression: Use expressive to describe art, music, or literature that conveys strong emotions. Use inexpressive to describe art that lacks emotional depth.
- 3Body Language: Use inexpressive to describe someone who has a blank or neutral expression.