What is the antonym of “first”?
The antonyms of first are final, last, and latest. These words convey the opposite meaning of first, which refers to the initial or earliest position in a sequence.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Coming at the end of a series; concluding or ultimate.
The final exam will determine your overall grade for the course.
Coming after all others in time or order; final.
This is your last chance to submit your application before the deadline.
Occurring or done after all others; most recent.
Have you heard about the latest fashion trends for this season?
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Final refers to the concluding or ultimate position in a sequence, while first refers to the initial or earliest position.
- 2Last refers to the position that comes after all others, while first refers to the position that comes before all others.
- 3Latest refers to the most recent occurrence or development, while first refers to the earliest occurrence or development.
Good things to know
- 1Sequencing: Use first and last to describe the beginning and end of a sequence.
- 2Chronology: Use latest and first to describe the most recent and earliest events in a timeline.
- 3Comparison: Use final, last, and latest to compare the concluding, last, and most recent positions with the initial or earliest position.
The antonyms of first are final, last, and latest. Use these words to describe the concluding, last, and most recent positions in a sequence or timeline, and to compare them with the initial or earliest position.