What is the antonym of “flyaway”?
The antonyms of flyaway are fixed, immovable, and settled. These antonyms convey a sense of stability, permanence, and immobility.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Securely placed or fastened in position; not subject to change or movement.
The bookshelf was fixed to the wall with screws to prevent it from falling.
Unable to be moved or changed; firmly established.
The boulder was immovable and could not be pushed aside.
Fixed or established permanently; not likely to change or be unsettled.
After years of moving around, she finally found a settled life in the countryside.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Fixed implies something that is securely placed or fastened in position and not subject to change or movement.
- 2Immovable implies something that cannot be moved or changed and is firmly established.
- 3Settled implies something that is fixed or established permanently and not likely to change or be unsettled.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Objects: Use fixed to describe objects that are securely placed or fastened in position.
- 2Describing People: Use immovable to describe people who are stubborn or unyielding.
- 3Describing Situations: Use settled to describe situations that are fixed or established permanently.