What is the antonym of “folky”?
The antonyms of folky are sophisticated, urban, and modern. The antonyms sophisticated, urban, and modern convey a different style or taste. It implies a lack of traditional or rural elements.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having refined tastes, manners, or knowledge acquired through education and experience.
The restaurant's decor was sophisticated and elegant, with dim lighting and soft music.
Relating to or characteristic of a city or town.
She preferred the urban lifestyle, with its fast pace and diverse cultural offerings.
Relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past.
The building's design was sleek and modern, with clean lines and large windows.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sophisticated refers to having refined tastes and manners, often associated with high culture.
- 2Urban refers to characteristics of a city or town, often associated with modernity and diversity.
- 3Modern refers to something that is current or up-to-date, often associated with contemporary design or technology.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use sophisticated, urban, and modern to describe different styles or tastes.
- 2Cultural Awareness: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding of different lifestyles and preferences.
- 3Artistic Expression: Utilize these antonyms in creative writing or visual arts to convey different moods or themes.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Sophisticated conveys refined tastes and manners, urban denotes characteristics of a city or town, and modern refers to something that is current or up-to-date. Use these words to enhance vocabulary, demonstrate cultural awareness, and express different moods or themes in creative works.