What is the antonym of “foreground”?
The antonyms of foreground are background and rear. The antonyms background and rear refer to the opposite of the front or primary position.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The area or scenery behind the main object or subject in a picture, scene, or event.
The mountains in the background of the painting add depth and perspective.
The back part of something; the opposite of the front.
The car's rear was damaged in the accident.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Background refers to the area behind the main object or subject in a picture, scene, or event.
- 2Rear refers to the back part of something, the opposite of the front.
Good things to know
- 1Photography: Use foreground and background to create depth and interest in photographs.
- 2Design: Incorporate foreground and background in design to create visual hierarchy and contrast.
- 3Spatial Awareness: Use rear to describe the back part of an object or space.
The antonyms of foreground are background and rear. Use these words to enhance photography, design, and spatial awareness by creating depth, contrast, and describing the back part of an object or space.