What is the antonym of “foreseen”?
The antonyms of foreseen are unforeseen and unexpected. These words describe events or situations that were not predicted or anticipated beforehand.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not anticipated or predicted; unexpected.
The storm caused unforeseen damage to the house.
Not expected or anticipated; surprising.
The news of his resignation came as an unexpected shock to everyone.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unforeseen implies that something was not predicted or anticipated at all, while unexpected suggests that something was surprising or caught someone off guard.
- 2Unforeseen is a more extreme term than unexpected, which can be used to describe a range of surprises.
Good things to know
- 1Planning: Use foreseen and unforeseen to prepare for future events and potential risks.
- 2Communication: Use unexpected to express surprise or to describe something that was not anticipated.
- 3Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create suspense and tension.
The antonyms unforeseen and unexpected describe events or situations that were not predicted or anticipated beforehand. Unforeseen implies a complete lack of prediction, while unexpected suggests surprise or catching someone off guard. Use these words in planning, communication, and writing to convey different levels of surprise and anticipation.