What is the antonym of “frightened”?
The antonyms of frightened are unafraid, brave, and fearless. These antonyms describe a lack of fear or anxiety.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not feeling fear or anxiety.
She was unafraid of heights and enjoyed bungee jumping.
Showing courage and determination in the face of danger or difficulty.
The firefighters were brave to enter the burning building and save the people trapped inside.
Lacking fear; not afraid of anything.
The lion tamer was fearless as he entered the cage with the ferocious animals.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unafraid describes a person who is not feeling fear or anxiety, while brave and fearless describe a person who is willing to face danger or difficulty despite feeling fear.
- 2Brave implies an act of courage in the face of danger or difficulty, while fearless implies a lack of fear altogether.
Good things to know
- 1Express Confidence: Use unafraid, brave, and fearless to describe someone who is not afraid or anxious.
- 2Encourage Bravery: Use brave and fearless to inspire people to face their fears and overcome challenges.
- 3Describe Characters: Use these antonyms to create characters in stories that have different levels of courage and fear.
The antonyms of frightened describe a lack of fear or anxiety. Unafraid describes a person who is not feeling fear or anxiety, while brave and fearless describe a person who is willing to face danger or difficulty despite feeling fear. Use these words to express confidence, encourage bravery, and describe characters in stories.