What is the antonym of “glaze”?
The antonyms of glaze are strip, uncover, and expose. These words convey the opposite meaning of glaze, which means to cover or coat with a thin layer of something, usually a glossy substance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To remove all covering or outer layers from something.
The workers had to strip the old paint off the walls before applying a new coat.
To remove a cover or uncover something that was previously hidden or concealed.
The archaeologists were excited to uncover an ancient tomb that had been buried for centuries.
To make something visible or reveal something that was previously hidden or unknown.
The journalist's investigation helped expose corruption within the government.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Strip refers to removing all layers or coverings from something.
- 2Uncover means to reveal something that was previously hidden or concealed.
- 3Expose means to make something visible or reveal something that was previously unknown.
Good things to know
- 1Home Renovation: Use strip when removing old paint or wallpaper.
- 2Archaeology: Use uncover when describing the process of excavating artifacts.
- 3Journalism: Use expose when reporting on scandals or corruption.