What is the antonym of “herbaceous”?
The antonyms of herbaceous are woody and ligneous. The antonyms woody and ligneous describe plants that have a hard, rigid stem made of wood or having the texture of wood.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a hard, rigid stem made of wood or having the texture of wood.
The tree has a woody stem that is strong enough to withstand strong winds.
Relating to or resembling wood; having the texture or appearance of wood.
The ligneous stems of the shrub make it difficult to prune.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Woody describes plants that have a hard, rigid stem made of wood.
- 2Ligneous describes plants that have the texture or appearance of wood.
Good things to know
- 1Botany: Use woody and ligneous to describe plant characteristics in botany.
- 2Gardening: Use these antonyms to describe the texture and structure of plants in gardening.
- 3Science: Incorporate these words in science discussions to describe plant anatomy and physiology.