What is the antonym of “humanise”?
The antonyms of humanise are dehumanize, brutalize, and debase. These words convey the opposite meaning of humanise, which means to make something more humane or compassionate.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To deprive someone or something of human qualities, such as compassion, dignity, or individuality.
The dictator's regime was notorious for its ability to dehumanize its opponents and treat them like animals.
To treat someone or something in a cruel, violent, or savage manner.
The prisoners were subjected to torture and other forms of abuse that were designed to brutalize them and break their spirit.
To lower the quality, value, or dignity of something.
The politician's scandalous behavior served to debase the entire political system and erode public trust.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dehumanize implies a loss of humanity, dignity, and compassion.
- 2Brutalize suggests a violent, cruel, or savage treatment of someone or something.
- 3Debase refers to the lowering of quality, value, or dignity of something.
Good things to know
- 1Social Justice: Use these antonyms to raise awareness about issues related to human rights, social justice, and equality.
- 2Media Analysis: Incorporate these antonyms in media analysis to critique representations of violence, oppression, and discrimination.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms in creative writing to create characters and situations that challenge readers' assumptions and provoke critical thinking.
The antonyms of humanise are dehumanize, brutalize, and debase. These words convey the opposite meaning of humanise, which means to make something more humane or compassionate. Use these antonyms to raise awareness about social justice issues, critique representations of violence and oppression, and create thought-provoking narratives.