What is the antonym of “idiosyncrasy”?
The antonyms of idiosyncrasy are normality and conformity. The antonyms normality and conformity describe a state of being typical or conforming to the norms or standards of society.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being usual, typical, or expected.
After the pandemic, people are looking forward to returning to a sense of normality.
The act of following or adhering to rules, standards, or expectations.
In some cultures, conformity is highly valued and seen as a sign of respect.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Normality refers to a state of being typical or expected, while idiosyncrasy refers to a unique characteristic or behavior.
- 2Conformity is the act of following rules or standards, while idiosyncrasy is the opposite of conformity and implies uniqueness or individuality.
Good things to know
- 1Express Uniqueness: Use idiosyncrasy to describe unique characteristics or behaviors.
- 2Discuss Social Norms: Use normality and conformity to discuss social norms and expectations.
- 3Explore Individuality: Use idiosyncrasy to explore individuality and celebrate differences.
The antonyms of idiosyncrasy are normality and conformity. While normality refers to a state of being typical or expected, conformity is the act of following rules or standards. On the other hand, idiosyncrasy implies uniqueness or individuality. Use these words to express uniqueness, discuss social norms, and explore individuality.