What is the antonym of “imperatory”?
The antonyms of imperatory are optional and voluntary. The antonyms optional and voluntary convey a lack of obligation or necessity. It implies that something is not required or mandatory.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Available to be chosen but not obligatory.
The dessert was optional, so some people chose to skip it.
Done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
She decided to join the charity organization on a voluntary basis.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Optional implies that something is available to be chosen but not required.
- 2Voluntary implies that something is done or given of one's own free will.
Good things to know
- 1Instructions: Use imperatory when giving instructions or commands.
- 2Preferences: Use optional when giving choices or preferences.
- 3Willingness: Use voluntary when referring to actions done willingly or without coercion.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Optional implies availability but not requirement, while voluntary implies actions done willingly. Use these words to give instructions, express preferences, and refer to actions done willingly.