What is the antonym of “inadequately”?
The antonyms of inadequately are adequately, sufficiently, and competently. These words convey a sense of completeness, satisfaction, or proficiency.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To a satisfactory or acceptable extent.
She was able to complete the task adequately within the given time frame.
To an extent that meets one's needs or requirements.
He had prepared sufficiently for the exam and felt confident about his performance.
In a way that shows skill, ability, or proficiency.
The new employee was able to handle the job competently despite having no prior experience.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Adequately implies meeting the minimum requirements or standards.
- 2Sufficiently implies meeting one's needs or expectations.
- 3Competently implies having the necessary skills or abilities to perform a task well.
Good things to know
- 1Workplace Communication: Use these antonyms to describe work performance or to give feedback.
- 2Academic Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in essays or research papers to express completeness or proficiency.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Utilize these antonyms to describe situations or events that meet or fail to meet expectations.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Adequately implies meeting minimum requirements, sufficiently implies meeting one's needs, and competently implies having the necessary skills. Use these words in workplace communication, academic writing, or everyday conversation to express completeness, proficiency, or meeting expectations.