What is the antonym of “incited”?
The antonyms of incited are calmed and pacified. The antonyms calmed and pacified convey a sense of tranquility, peace, and order. They imply a state of being free from agitation, excitement, or disturbance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Free from agitation, excitement, or disturbance; peaceful and tranquil.
After taking a few deep breaths, she felt calmed and relaxed.
Brought under control or subdued; made peaceful or calm.
The police were able to pacify the angry mob by using tear gas and water cannons.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calmed implies a state of being free from agitation, excitement, or disturbance, while pacified suggests that something has been brought under control or subdued.
- 2Calmed is a more general term that describes a peaceful and tranquil state, while pacified is a more specific term that describes a situation where something has been brought under control or subdued.
Good things to know
- 1Conflict Resolution: Use calmed and pacified to describe the outcome of a conflict resolution process.
- 2Emotional Regulation: Use calmed to describe a state of emotional regulation and pacified to describe a situation where someone has been calmed down.
- 3News Reporting: Use calmed and pacified to describe the aftermath of a crisis or conflict.