What is the antonym of “inhospitable”?
The antonym of inhospitable is hospitable, friendly, and welcoming. The antonyms hospitable, friendly, and welcoming convey a positive and welcoming environment. It implies a place where people are treated with warmth, kindness, and generosity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Receiving or treating guests or strangers warmly and generously.
The locals were so hospitable that they invited us to their homes for dinner.
Kind and pleasant; showing goodwill towards others.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and always greeted us with a smile.
Inviting and receptive to newcomers; creating a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.
The school had a welcoming environment that made it easy for new students to adjust.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hospitable describes a place where people are treated with warmth and generosity.
- 2Friendly describes a person who is kind and pleasant towards others.
- 3Welcoming describes an environment that is inviting and receptive to newcomers.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use these antonyms to describe places that are either welcoming or inhospitable to tourists.
- 2Hospitality Industry: Use these antonyms to describe the level of service provided by hotels, restaurants, and other hospitality businesses.
- 3Social Situations: Use these antonyms to describe people's behavior towards each other in social situations.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Hospitable describes a place where people are treated with warmth and generosity, friendly describes a person who is kind and pleasant, and welcoming describes an environment that is inviting and receptive to newcomers. Use these words to describe places, people, and social situations.