What is the antonym of “intellectualism”?
The antonyms of intellectualism are anti-intellectualism, ignorance, and stupidity. These antonyms convey a lack of intellectual curiosity, knowledge, or ability.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Opposition to or hostility towards intellectual pursuits or those who engage in them.
The rise of anti-intellectualism in politics is a worrying trend.
Lack of knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular subject or topic.
His ignorance about basic science concepts was evident during the debate.
Lack of intelligence, common sense, or good judgment.
Her decision to quit her job without having another one lined up was an act of sheer stupidity.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Anti-intellectualism is a belief system that opposes intellectual pursuits, while ignorance and stupidity are states of lacking knowledge or intelligence.
- 2Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or awareness about a particular subject, while stupidity is a lack of intelligence or good judgment.
- 3Stupidity is a more severe form of lacking intelligence or good judgment than ignorance.
Good things to know
- 1Discuss Education: Use these antonyms to discuss the importance of education and intellectual pursuits.
- 2Analyze Politics: Incorporate these antonyms to analyze political movements and ideologies.
- 3Describe People: Utilize these antonyms to describe people's attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.