Definitions and Examples of outward, outwardly, outwards
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to the outside or exterior; external.
The outward appearance of the building was impressive, but the interior was poorly maintained.
In a way that is visible or apparent on the surface; externally.
Although she was outwardly calm, her heart was racing with anxiety.
Towards the outside or exterior; away from the center.
The river flowed outwards towards the sea.
Key Differences: outward vs outwardly vs outwards
- 1Outward refers to the external or exterior aspect of something.
- 2Outwardly describes something that is visible or apparent on the surface.
- 3Outwards indicates movement or direction away from the center.
Effective Usage of outward, outwardly, outwards
- 1Spatial Orientation: Use inturning and its antonyms to describe the direction of movement or orientation.
- 2Physical Description: Use outward to describe the external appearance of objects or people.
- 3Emotional Expression: Use outwardly to describe visible emotions or expressions.
The antonyms of inturning are outward, outwardly, and outwards. These words convey the opposite meaning of inturning, which means to turn or direct inward. Use these words to describe spatial orientation, physical description, and emotional expression.