What is the antonym of “irrelevance”?
The antonyms of irrelevance are relevance and importance. These words convey the opposite meaning of irrelevance, which means something that is not related or connected to the topic at hand.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand.
The professor emphasized the importance of discussing only topics that have relevance to the course.
The quality of being significant, valuable, or worthy of attention.
The CEO stressed the importance of meeting the company's quarterly targets.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Relevance refers to something that is closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand.
- 2Importance refers to something that is significant, valuable, or worthy of attention.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use relevance to describe how a topic is related to the research question or thesis statement.
- 2Business Communication: Use importance to emphasize the significance of a project, goal, or deadline.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use relevance and importance to express the significance of a topic or event in your life.