What is the antonym of “lessen”?
The antonyms of lessen are increase, augment, and boost. These words convey the opposite meaning of lessen, which is to make something smaller or reduce its intensity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something larger in size, quantity, or degree.
The company plans to increase its production capacity by 50% next year.
To add to something in order to make it larger or more substantial.
She decided to augment her income by taking on a part-time job.
To increase the power, strength, or effectiveness of something.
The new marketing campaign helped to boost sales by 20%.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Increase is a general term that describes making something larger in size, quantity, or degree.
- 2Augment is a more specific term that describes adding to something in order to make it larger or more substantial.
- 3Boost is a relational term that describes increasing the power, strength, or effectiveness of something.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use these antonyms to describe changes in sales, production, or revenue.
- 2Education: Utilize these antonyms to discuss changes in grades, test scores, or academic performance.
- 3Health: Incorporate these antonyms to describe changes in symptoms, pain, or discomfort.
The antonyms of lessen are increase, augment, and boost. Use these words to describe changes in various contexts such as business, education, and health. Remember that increase is a general term, augment is more specific, and boost is relational.