What is the antonym of “levity”?
The antonyms of levity are seriousness, solemnity, and gravity. The antonyms seriousness, solemnity, and gravity convey a sense of formality, solemnity, or importance. It implies a lack of frivolity, humor, or lightheartedness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being serious; not joking or trifling.
The doctor spoke with seriousness about the patient's condition, making it clear that it was a matter of life and death.
The state or quality of being serious and dignified; marked by deep sincerity or earnestness.
The wedding ceremony was conducted with great solemnity, reflecting the couple's commitment to each other.
The quality or state of being grave or serious; having great weight or importance.
The president's speech addressed issues of gravity, such as national security and economic stability.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Seriousness refers to the quality of being serious and not joking or trifling.
- 2Solemnity refers to the state of being serious and dignified, marked by deep sincerity or earnestness.
- 3Gravity refers to the quality of being grave or serious, having great weight or importance.
Good things to know
- 1Formal Settings: Use seriousness, solemnity, and gravity in formal settings such as speeches, ceremonies, or official documents.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate antonyms in professional communication to convey a sense of formality and importance.
- 3Academic Writing: Utilize these antonyms in academic writing to demonstrate a serious and scholarly tone.