What is the antonym of “looked”?
The antonyms of looked are avert and ignore. The antonym avert means to turn away or avoid looking at something, while ignore means to pay no attention to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To turn away or prevent something from happening.
She had to avert her eyes from the graphic images on the news.
To pay no attention to something or someone.
He chose to ignore the warning signs and ended up regretting it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Avert implies actively turning away or preventing something from happening, while ignore implies not paying attention to something.
- 2Avert is often used in situations where one wants to avoid seeing something unpleasant, while ignore can be used in a wider range of contexts.
- 3Avert is usually followed by a direct object, while ignore can be followed by both direct and indirect objects.
Good things to know
- 1In social situations, use avert to politely avoid eye contact with someone you don't want to talk to.
- 2Use ignore when someone is trying to provoke you or when you want to show disapproval.
- 3In writing, use avert to create suspense or tension by hinting at something without fully describing it.
The antonyms of looked are avert and ignore. Avert means to turn away or prevent something from happening, while ignore means to pay no attention to something. Use avert to politely avoid eye contact or create suspense in writing, and use ignore to show disapproval or when someone is trying to provoke you.