What is the antonym of “militate”?
The antonyms of militate are assist, encourage, and promote. These words convey the opposite meaning of militate, which is to work against or hinder something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To help or support someone or something in achieving a goal or completing a task.
The teacher offered to assist the students with their homework after class.
To give someone confidence, hope, or motivation to do something.
His parents always encouraged him to pursue his dreams, no matter how difficult they seemed.
To advance or support the growth or development of something.
The company decided to promote the employee who had shown exceptional dedication and hard work.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Assist implies providing help or support to achieve a goal.
- 2Encourage implies giving confidence or motivation to do something.
- 3Promote implies advancing or supporting the growth or development of something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express opposing ideas or actions.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in writing to create contrast and clarity.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your language skills.