What is the antonym of “minority”?
The antonyms of minority are majority and greater part. These words describe the opposite ends of a spectrum, where minority refers to a smaller group or number, while majority and greater part refer to a larger group or number.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The greater number or part; more than half of a total.
The majority of the students in the class were from different countries.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Majority refers to a group or number that is more than half of a total, while greater part refers to a larger portion or number of something.
- 2Majority is a more commonly used term than greater part.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use minority and majority to describe voting patterns and election results.
- 2Demographics: Use these antonyms to describe the distribution of people in a population based on age, gender, race, or ethnicity.
- 3Statistics: Incorporate these words when analyzing data to describe the distribution of values.
The antonyms minority, majority, and greater part describe groups or numbers that are smaller or larger than a total. While majority refers to more than half of a total, greater part refers to a larger portion or number of something. Use these words in politics, demographics, and statistics to describe distributions and analyze data.