What is the antonym of “modestness”?
The antonyms of modestness are arrogance, pride, and immodesty. These antonyms describe a lack of humility or modesty, and often convey a sense of overconfidence or self-importance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An attitude of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.
His arrogance made it hard for him to make friends.
A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions.
She felt a sense of pride after completing the marathon.
Lack of modesty; indecency or shamelessness.
Her immodesty was evident in the way she dressed.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Arrogance implies a sense of superiority or overbearing pride, while modestness implies a lack of self-importance.
- 2Pride can be positive or negative, depending on the context, while modestness is generally seen as a positive trait.
- 3Immodesty refers to a lack of modesty or decency, while modestness implies a sense of propriety and humility.
Good things to know
- 1Personal Development: Use these antonyms to reflect on your own behavior and cultivate positive traits.
- 2Social Interactions: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to express opinions and feelings effectively.
- 3Literature and Media: Analyze characters in literature and media to understand their motivations and personality traits.
The antonyms of modestness describe a lack of humility or modesty, and often convey a sense of overconfidence or self-importance. Use these words to reflect on personal behavior, express opinions and feelings effectively, and analyze characters in literature and media.