The Opposite(Antonym) of “mordacious”
The antonyms of mordacious are complimentary, praising, and flattering. The antonyms complimentary, praising, and flattering convey a positive or approving tone. They imply a sense of admiration, approval, or appreciation.
Definitions and Examples of complimentary, praising, flattering
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Expressing admiration, approval, or praise.
She received a complimentary letter from her boss for her excellent work on the project.
Expressing warm approval or admiration.
The teacher gave a praising remark to the student for his outstanding performance in the class.
Tending to enhance one's appearance or reputation; pleasing or gratifying.
She was pleased to receive a flattering comment about her new dress from her friend.
Key Differences: complimentary vs praising vs flattering
- 1Complimentary is a general term that describes a positive expression of admiration or approval.
- 2Praising is a more specific term that describes a warm expression of approval or admiration.
- 3Flattering is a term that describes something that enhances one's appearance or reputation, often used in a positive context.
Effective Usage of complimentary, praising, flattering
- 1Enhance Communication: Use complimentary, praising, and flattering to express approval or admiration effectively.
- 2Show Politeness: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate politeness and respect.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create a positive tone and convey a sense of admiration or approval.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Complimentary conveys a general sense of admiration, praising denotes a warm expression of approval or admiration, and flattering describes something that enhances one's appearance or reputation. Use these words to enhance communication, show politeness in conversations, and enrich writing by creating a positive tone and conveying a sense of admiration or approval.