What is the antonym of “antagonising”?
The antonym of antagonising is calming and soothing. The antonyms calming and soothing convey a sense of relaxation and comfort. They imply a reduction in tension, anxiety, or stress.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a soothing or tranquilizing effect; reducing tension or anxiety.
The sound of the ocean waves had a calming effect on her nerves.
Having a calming or comforting effect; alleviating pain or discomfort.
The warm bath was soothing to her sore muscles after a long day at work.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calming implies a reduction in tension or anxiety, while soothing implies a reduction in pain or discomfort.
- 2Calming can refer to a situation or environment that promotes relaxation, while soothing usually refers to a specific action or remedy that alleviates discomfort.
Good things to know
- 1Health and Wellness: Use calming and soothing to describe activities or remedies that promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- 2Emotional Intelligence: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to demonstrate empathy and understanding.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Calming implies a reduction in tension or anxiety, while soothing implies a reduction in pain or discomfort. Use these words to promote health and wellness, demonstrate emotional intelligence, and create a peaceful atmosphere in creative writing.