What is the antonym of “applauding”?
The antonyms of applauding are booing, jeering, and criticizing. These antonyms express disapproval, dissatisfaction, or negative feedback towards a performance, speech, or action.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Expressing disapproval or contempt by making loud sounds with the mouth.
The audience started booing when the singer forgot the lyrics.
Mocking or taunting someone or something in a disrespectful or insulting way.
The football fans started jeering at the opposing team's goalkeeper.
Expressing disapproval or negative feedback towards someone or something.
The teacher was criticizing the student's essay for its lack of structure.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Booing is a vocal expression of disapproval or contempt.
- 2Jeering is a mocking or taunting behavior that aims to insult or disrespect.
- 3Criticizing is a more general term that refers to expressing negative feedback or disapproval.
Good things to know
- 1Sports Events: Use booing and jeering to express disapproval towards the opposing team or players.
- 2Concerts and Performances: Use applauding and booing to show appreciation or disapproval towards the performers.
- 3Feedback and Reviews: Use criticizing to provide constructive criticism or negative feedback towards a product, service, or performance.
The antonyms of applauding are booing, jeering, and criticizing. These antonyms convey disapproval, dissatisfaction, or negative feedback towards a performance, speech, or action. Use them in sports events, concerts, performances, feedback, and reviews to express your opinion effectively.