What is the antonym of “below”?
The antonyms of below are above, over, and higher than. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of being in a lower position or level.
See all the antonyms of “below”
- superior to
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In or to a higher position than something else, especially in relation to another object or surface.
The bird was flying above the clouds.
Extending directly upward from; situated on the top of.
The sun was shining over the mountains.
At a greater height or level than something else.
The temperature is higher than yesterday.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Above refers to a higher position in relation to another object or surface.
- 2Over indicates a position directly upward from something.
- 3Higher than describes a greater height or level than something else.
Good things to know
- 1Spatial Relationships: Use these antonyms to describe the position of objects or people in space.
- 2Comparisons: Utilize these antonyms to compare different levels or positions of things.
- 3Directions: Use these antonyms to give directions or navigate through a space.
The antonyms of below are above, over, and higher than. These antonyms describe a higher position or level in relation to another object or surface. Use them to describe spatial relationships, make comparisons, and give directions.