What is the antonym of “brightest”?
The antonyms of brightest are dull, dim, and stupid. These words convey the opposite meaning of brightest in different contexts.
See all the antonyms of “brightest”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking brightness, vividness, or intensity; not shiny or sharp.
The sky was dull and gray on a cloudy day.
Not bright or clear; lacking in brilliance or clarity.
The light in the room was dim and made it hard to read.
Lacking intelligence, common sense, or good judgment.
He made a stupid mistake by forgetting his keys in the car.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dull refers to a lack of brightness or intensity, while dim describes something that is not bright or clear.
- 2Stupid is a complementary antonym that describes a lack of intelligence or good judgment.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Light: Use dull or dim to describe the brightness of light sources.
- 2Critiquing Performance: Use stupid to criticize poor decision-making or lack of intelligence.
- 3Comparing Objects: Use these antonyms to compare objects with contrasting qualities.
The antonyms of brightest are dull, dim, and stupid. Dull and dim describe a lack of brightness or clarity, while stupid is a complementary antonym that describes a lack of intelligence or good judgment. Use these antonyms to describe light, critique performance, or compare objects with contrasting qualities.