What is the antonym of “compassionate”?
The antonyms of compassionate are cold-hearted, unsympathetic, and indifferent. These antonyms describe a lack of empathy, concern, or kindness towards others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking in sympathy or feeling; unkind or cruel.
The villain in the story was portrayed as a cold-hearted person who enjoyed causing pain to others.
Not showing or feeling any sympathy or compassion.
The boss was unsympathetic to his employees' problems and refused to listen to their concerns.
Having no particular interest or sympathy; unconcerned.
She was indifferent to the news of her ex-boyfriend's engagement and didn't feel any strong emotions about it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cold-hearted implies a deliberate lack of empathy or kindness towards others.
- 2Unsympathetic suggests a lack of concern or understanding for others' feelings or situations.
- 3Indifferent describes a lack of interest or emotional investment in something or someone.
Good things to know
- 1Describing People: Use these antonyms to describe people who lack empathy or kindness.
- 2Expressing Disapproval: Use these words to express disapproval of someone's behavior or attitude.
- 3Discussing Relationships: Utilize these antonyms to describe the dynamics of relationships or interactions between people.